Skip to main content

Marshalling strings with StringBuilder

The dotNet framework is pretty smart when it comes to marshalling managed to unmanaged datatypes for PInvoke calls. When you want to pass a Guid from the managed to the unmanaged world the framework knows how to transform the .Net Guid structure to a Windows GUID without you even asking for it.

Marshalling strings is usually no problem either. You can pass in a managed string and the .Net framework handles any unicode to ANSI conversions for you.

   1: [DllImport("setupapi.dll", CharSet = CharSet.Auto, SetLastError = true)]
   2: public static extern bool SetupDiClassGuidsFromName(
   3:     string className, ref Guid guids, UInt32 classGuidListSize, ref UInt32 requiredSize);
   4:  
   5: [DllImport("setupapi.dll", CharSet = CharSet.Auto, SetLastError = true)]
   6: public static extern bool SetupDiClassNameFromGuid( 
   7:     ref Guid classGuid, string className, UInt32 classNameSize, ref UInt32 requiredSize);

These two calls from the setupapi.dll library illustrate this. The first call takes a string describing a device-class (for example keyboard) and returns an array of Guids with usually one Guid for that device class (4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 for keyboards). The classGuidListSize parameter tells the dll how big we made the guids array. If it's not big enoug we can check the requiredSize parameter after the call and call again with a bigger array.


The second call is a problem though. It's exactly the reverse of the first call. It takes a single Guid and returns a string. The problem here is that in the managed world we dont have much influence over the size of strings. That's all handled for us.


One hack could be to pass in an empty string, with zero in classNameSize, and pass in a string padded with the appropriate amount of spaces the second time around to make it big enoug to hold the amount of characters in requiredSize but that would be a bit messy.


The preferred way is to pass in a StringBuilder class instead of a string. We can use the Capacity property of the StringBuilder to make it any size we want.



   1: [DllImport("setupapi.dll", CharSet = CharSet.Auto, SetLastError = true)]
   2: public static extern bool SetupDiClassNameFromGuid( 
   3:     ref Guid classGuid, StringBuilder className, UInt32 classNameSize, ref UInt32 requiredSize);
   4:             
   5: public string ClassNameFromGuidWrapper(Guid classGuid)
   6: {
   7:     // 50 is a Sensible default value, if we're lucky it's enough
   8:     uint reqSize = 50;
   9:     StringBuilder classNameBuilder = new StringBuilder((int)reqSize);
  10:  
  11:     // First try.
  12:     returnValue = _SetupApi.SetupDiClassNameFromGuid(
  13:         ref classGuid, classNameBuilder, (uint)classNameBuilder.Capacity, ref reqSize);
  14:  
  15:     if ((uint)classNameBuilder.Capacity != reqSize)
  16:     {
  17:         // call again with the right size stringbuilder
  18:         classNameBuilder.Capacity = (int)reqSize;
  19:         returnValue = _SetupApi.SetupDiClassNameFromGuid(
  20:             ref classGuid, classNameBuilder, reqSize, ref reqSize);
  21:     }
  22:  
  23:     return classNameBuilder.ToString();
  24: }

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using xUnit.Net with .Net 4.0

I’ve been using xUnit.Net for a while now. It’s just a tiny bit cleaner and slightly less abrasive than other .Net unit testing frameworks. Leaving out unnecessary stuff like [TestFixture] and shortening Assert.AreEqual to the equally clear but shorter Assert.Equal don’t seem like big improvements but when you type them several times a day tiny improvements start to add up. I also like the use of the [Fact] attribute instead of [Test]. It shifts the focus from testing to defining behavior. So how do we get all this goodness working with the Visual Studio 2010 beta?

Square One available on the Android market

This is just a short post to let you know that a first version of the Android app I’ve been working on for the last couple of weeks is available on the Android market. The app is called Square One and it’s a simple bassline synthesizer. It’s free so try it out and let me know what you think of it, but be prepared it’s still an early version. I hope to add more features in the next few months and maybe build something that can be used to create real music.The lower part of the screen contains the sequencer controls that can be used to program your own bass lines. On the left is a four by four grid of buttons where you can select a step in the sequence. On the right you can select the note to be played on that step. When you’re done you can press Start and the sequence starts playing. The knobs on the top can be used to control a couple of parameters from the synthesizer engine that creates the sound. You can control the cutoff frequency and resonance of the low-pass filter, attack and …

Building Android projects with Jenkins, Ant and Mercurial

I have recently set up a Jenkins build server for my Android projects hosted on Bitbucket. It’s not difficult but there are a couple pitfalls and the information on how to do this isn’t available from one single place so I decided to document the process and put up the information over here. Maybe other people will benefit from having a step-by-step guide too.